Monday, October 1, 2012

Thankfulness as Therapy


“Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” 
1 Thessalonians 5:18

For most of us, an attitude of gratitude does not come naturally. As children, this attitude likely had to be cultivated in us by parents who constantly required that we say “thank you”. A selfish people, we often forget that we are not entitled to anything in this life, and that everything we have is a gift. Every good gift in our lives has been given to us by a perfect, loving God. Until I received my cancer diagnosis, I rarely reflected on what a precious gift the sunrise was, or that the amazing harvest moon that rises in the early evening was lovingly placed there by a Sovereign God. During my A.D. (“After Diagnosis”) days, nature was suddenly filled with beauty that had gone unnoticed during my busy life. The hours I have before me every day are now a precious, precious gift. As a cancer patient, it is tempting to look at the hours I might lose on earth, rather than the hours I have been given. The only way I know to shake off my despair at what I might lose is to focus wholeheartedly on what I have now. By listing my blessings and thanking and praising God for each one of them, my attitude shifts from self-pity to gratitude. If I begin praying in this spirit, my heart often changes by the time I reach my petitions. Many of my petitions don’t seem as urgent or important after I have spent time praising a Sovereign Lord and reflecting on the amazing blessings with which He has surrounded me. And what is one of those greatest gifts? LIFE! I have this day, and many days, to celebrate with loved ones, to make memories and to make a difference.

Last spring, a long-term cancer survivor recommended I read the book The Lies We Believe by Dr. Chris Thurman, and in the book is a chapter entitled “You Are Going to Die.” The author fills the chapter with wonderful quotes from famous trailblazers, such as:

“I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not just exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” –Jack London, after facing death in the Yukon

“Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss in life is what dies inside of us while we live.” –Norman Cousins

“As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well-used brings happy death.” –Leondardo da Vinci

Dr. Thurman ends his chapter with these words: “You have the gift of life to use as meaningfully and abundantly as possible. With all that you have in you, give life your best shot. Remember, pale death beats at your door. Live!” And to that I would add, Be grateful! Thank God for your life and praise Him!

Father , thank You for this gift of life. Thank You for every breath I take, for each time I inhale, and for every time I exhale. Help me to fill each hour of my day with thanksgiving for what You have given me. Help me to rely on Your strength to do this, realizing that I am a weak, selfish person who thinks too much about her own needs and her own desires. Keep me from wasting this precious gift of time, and help me to redeem each hour, for my good and Your glory. In the name of Your precious son, Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.